SANS Forensic Summit: Thoughts and Slides

This past Tuesday I attended the 2009 SANS Forensic Summit. In part, I was there to give a talk on combining volatile memory analysis with forensic analysis (see below for the slides from that), but I was also pretty excited about getting to hang out with the bright lights of the forensics community like Harlan Carvey, Chris Pogue, Richard Bejtlich, and many more.

Unfortunately, I was only able to attend the first day, which consisted primarily of technical talks on various aspects of forensics, incident response, and live forensics. All the talks were really excellent; Rob Lee and the folks at SANS should be commended for their great work in putting everything together. In this post I'm going to just describe the talks, rather than the panels; unfortunately I forgot to take notes during the panels and so I don't have as much to say about them, other than that they were fun and highly informative.

On to the talks! The first talk of the morning was Richard Bejtlich's keynote, which gave a really great analysis of the current state of the industry and the challenges faced by investigators today. He drew heavily from the Verizon Data Breach Investigations Report, which gave his assertions a nice feel of solidity to them; for example, when he says that we're in bad shape (getting compromised left and right), he can back that up with statistics showing that most intrusions are discovered only through third party notifications. If you're not already reading Richard's posts over at TaoSecurity, I highly encourage it.

After the keynote, Kris Harms got up to talk about live response. He gave a lot of cool tips on how to use some standard tools that most people should be familiar with (pslist, handles, etc.) to quickly triage a system and make a determination on whether it needs deeper analysis. I have to admit that I don't usually think a lot about live analysis--from a standpoint of simply collecting volatile data, I think that memory forensics offers a much better solution. However, from a triage perspective, live analysis makes a lot of sense; you can get a lot of leads very quickly by just knowing how to poke around on the live system.

Nevertheless, I did have one quibble with this talk. It seemed like a lot of the techniques presented, while cool, were a little haphazard. That is, "poking around" isn't necessarily repeatable, which means that as an investigator you could end up missing data by performing a different set of actions on different cases. After all, we're only human, and sometimes we forget things. I personally prefer to make sure that anything I'm going to do more than once is scripted. This allows one to codify an investigative procedure so that it's consistent and repeatable -- think of it as an executable checklist.

For example, in the presentation, Kris Harms described finding hidden processes by using handle.exe and pulling out the PIDs of each handle table it finds (Harlan Carvey now has a nice perl script that automates this). However, there are several rootkit detectors (such as IceSword) that will do this handle table vs. process list cross-view for you. I think we should definitely learn about these techniques and how they work, but I don't see the point in trying to keep them all in your head and do them by hand each time -- put it in a script and let the computer do the work.

After lunch, Harlan Carvey got up to talk about Windows registry analysis, a field that he did a lot of pioneering work in and essentially dominates. Things got a little hectic at the end, as he raced through some information-dense slides on specific kinds of forensic information you could get out of the registry, but overall I really found the talk engaging and illuminating. It also served as a really great motivator for my own talk: he spent a while near the beginning talking about volatile registry data and some of the reasons it's important. This set me up very nicely, since my own presentation was all about extracting registry data from memory. And I didn't even have to bribe him (much)!

Ending out the day (for presentations, at least) was a combined, hour and a half long session on memory analysis with Jamie Butler, Peter Silberman, and me. Peter and Jamie gave a great talk on Memoryze, which is Mandiant's free (as in beer) tool for analyzing volatile memory. Although most of the stuff presented was nothing new if you've been following memory analysis research, it was nice to see their software in action. They also announced the release of a new version of Memoryze, which supports Vista more fully, including the reworked networking code. Peter and Jamie are both very smart, and while I personally prefer Volatility for my own work, I'm glad that people have great options like Memoryze and Volatility to choose from.

Finally, after Jamie and Peter, I gave my own talk on combining registry analysis with memory forensics. There wasn't much new research presented in the talk, but I think it serves as a nice introduction to the toolset for people that haven't seen it before. The slides are available at the bottom of this post (assuming I can get this embedding thing to work), and I'll let them speak for themselves. :)

Once again, a huge thanks to Rob Lee and everyone who organized and attended the SANS Forensics Summit 2009! If you missed it this year, I hope this post has given you a taste of some of the great stuff that goes on there, and will encourage you to go next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Someone’s Been Messing With My Subnormals!

Decrypting LSA Secrets

SysKey and the SAM